David Sprüngli opened the Confiserie Sprüngli & Fils on Marktgasse in Zürich in 1836. In 1859, David Sprüngli and his son Rudolf secured a property on Paradeplatz in Zürich, although it was still little frequented, because they hoped the railway station would be built there. This was not to be, however, which gave the Sprüngli family sleepless nights, but vigorous building activity soon started around Paradeplatz. Bahnhofstrasse, which ran alongside, developed into one of the world’s most prestigious shopping streets. Today the Confiserie Sprüngli, with its sales business, associated restaurant, café and bar, occupies a prominent position in this area.
The company is still family-owned. Richard Sprüngli’s nephews, Milan and Tomas Prenosil, took over the business in 1994. The company invested in expanding and modernizing the production facility in Dietikon in 2001. Today, Sprüngli operates fifteen sales businesses in and around Zürich. A further eight are located in Winterthur, Basel, Bern, St. Gallen, Zug and Geneva. During an expansion of the sales network in 2012, the Confiserie secured attractive sales outlets in Bern rail station and at Geneva airport, and a café and lounge at Zürich airport. This was followed by internationalization in 2014 when the company opened a “Boutique & Café” in Dubai, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates, as the first business outside Switzerland. The product range there is appropriately adapted to the clientele, for example it uses more dates than in Switzerland. The company has also become well-known due to the Luxemburgerli. Richard Sprüngli launched today’s legendary baked products 60 years ago. These mini-macaroons, which are filled with a light fluffy crème, are popular nowadays at home and abroad as a kind of emblem of the City of Zürich. So Sprüngli is celebrating the sixtieth anniversary of its Luxemburgerli in 2017 with a limited-edition jubilee creation, available in June, and packed in a retro-design package with the nostalgic blue-white look.